Sunday, July 21, 2013

selfish versus selfless

I've encountered many situations recently where I have had to question the morals and values of my friends, and I am going to be 100% honest - I am not satisfied whatsoever. I was raised to be a caring person, to always put others before myself. I believe that it's also a choice I have made because I get more joy out of seeing others happy. This is not to say that I do not do things and make choices that make me happy, because I do.

There are times where I have been selfish and have acted on things that have only benefited me. I do not, however, do these things first handedly knowing it will hurt someone else's feelings. I am shocked at how many people are in my life that only put their happiness first and not their friends who are closest to them. If my friends aren't happy about a situation, how can I even be happy about it knowing I've hurt someone in the process? I literally cannot wrap my head around people who are so selfish... it sounds so naive, but I just don't get it. And it makes me look like a fool, I suppose, but it blows my mind. It breaks my heart to see such selfless people get screwed over by people who are only concerned with their own happiness. There comes a point where you stop being self centered and start realizing who and what truly matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment