Saturday, May 24, 2014

May 24, 2014

Two weeks into summer and I couldn't feel better.

I've completed two weeks of my however long internship and I'm currently enjoying the second day of my four-day weekend!

I've been getting back into running, mostly when I get off work if I'm not exhausted. Working out on the weekends had proved to be a challenge, only because I can't force my body to get up before it wants to, which is coming close to 10am. I also am soaking up the sun during the day and spending time with my mom and sister in the evenings, among friends and what not.

As I mentioned in the blog post before this, one of my favorite things about summer is reading. And boy, have I been taking advantage of that. The first book I finished in a week was The Book Thief, and I highly recommend it. I don't want to ruin it for any future readers, but it was an interesting view into the Holocaust and death itself. Be prepared for tears.

The second book completed within this second week was The Fault in Our Stars, as I'm sure many of you are familiar with via Twitter and all the fangirls. But I must say, I've read all the other John Green books and he continues to do a great job. This book in particular made me sob uncontrollably, and to say the least, I'm glad I was in the room alone upon finishing the book. I can't decide if I'll see the movie yet, or if I just want the privilege of romanticizing the book alone.

And finally, as of this morning, I closed the book of Heaven is for Real. I'm not exactly sure what to say about this book. It was a fast and easy read, finished within less than 24 hours (yes, I'm bragging, if not only to myself, for the simple pleasure of reading). Over the years, I've questioned a lot about whether there is a God or not. An afterlife, eternity, all of the sorts. I think I have tricked myself into believing there isn't, for the mere fact that I can't wrap my ahead around it. But I often catch myself praying in times of need and thanking "whoever" when things are going exceptionally well in my life and the lives of those around me. So here I am, stuck, not knowing what I believe and thinking there is nothing up there, around there, or wherever.
Then I read this book about a boy who's encountered Heaven, and knows things about a place he's only vaguely been introduced to. To say the least, this book has restored my faith. Growing up Christian, and attending a private Christian school, I've been accustomed to it all, but after reading this book, it's really put it into prospective.
My mom has taught me to be kind and generous, in lieu with all the biblical teachings learnt in Sunday school and elementary school. I love people unconditionally, sometimes overwhelming to the other person, and I care for more people than I do myself. Being raised this way, I just thought that's why I become the person I am now. But I think now it's because there's something bigger and better in store for me, and I can only hope I can continue to graciously care for others and help those in need, to serve those watching over me.

I'l leave you with that, and I hope I didn't offend anyone in taking a different approach to this post.

If anything, I encourage anyone and everyone to read the above books, if not just one! They're all great.

It's funny, because I've read three books in two weeks and couldn't even finish two chapters of one book during a semester at school. Although, I've cried the same amount, if not more, over these intriguing books that I did during one semester of stressful schoolwork, drama, and crappy nights.

Cheers to more reading and I'm sure lots more tears!

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment