Friday, May 16, 2014

May 16, 2014

Happy summer! I know I could not be happier with this break from school. Although, it's not much of a summer off for me, as I am interning with General Dynamics on the Employee Relations team. I am so grateful for the opportunity and all that I am going to learn this summer!

The semester ended, although not extraordinarily. I did better than I expected, but it still wasn't up to my standards, but hey, what are ya gonna do? Also, I've been trying my hardest to come to terms with the fact that a number between 1 and 4 does not determine who I am as a person, whether it be as a employee, friend, or daughter. So, ha!

This semester is going to be a great time to reflect on the past year and help shape the future. Summer is my absolute favorite for a variety of reasons, and because I want to and because I can I am going to make a list of why I love it most of all.

1. I get to read. At school I am absorbed in power points, textbooks, and my sloppy handwritten notes that didn't quite catch all the information. But over the summer, I finally get to pick up a book that has idly been sitting on my desk all year at school. I have always loved to read for as long as I can remember. So when I come home for the summer, you can guarantee my nose will be in a book when I'm not working and every night before bed.

2. Late night runs. This past semester has taken a toll on me for the worst. I barely had time to work out, and when I did it sporadically and never became a routine. However, being home for the summer I can do my 3 mile run around the neighborhoods whether it be after 9pm when the weather cools down on the weekdays or in the dead heat of the day on Saturday or Sunday. I can't get enough of it.

3. Visits from the one and only(s). Also known as Sean Briggs, a friend that will never be anything less. It doesn't matter how long it's been since our last conversation or our last hang out, I can always count on Sean to stop by randomly, without notice, to say hello and catch up on each others lives. There's also the others, like Brandon, who has been a brother to me since middle school and a great friend (for the most part). He's literally like my other half and I hate him and I love him. Then there's Josh and his lack of tolerance for my bullshit. Gotta love him.

4. Backroads and country music. Since my dad moved out into the middle of nowhere (which is a lie because there's actually a good bit back there), I have loved nothing more than driving out to his house, going way to fast and listening to country music and soaking up the sunshine. There's few things better than that feeling that I wouldn't even be able to begin to explain. And finally,

5. Tanning. As much as I hate sweating, I love the intense feeling of the sun absorbing every inch of my body. That's really it, you gotta love the heat to get a great tan.


I hope you all have a great summer soaking up the sun and sharing a drink or two with those lifelong friends.

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment