Monday, November 17, 2014

November 17, 2014

If I said I had perfect friendships, I would be lying. I know in my first post this month I mentioned that I have found very good friends who I would not trade the world for. That's still true. But I have friends that I call a best friend and vice versa, but I can't say that's 100% true.

So, this is an open letter to my friends who have put me on the back burner multiple times due to boyfriends and hook ups. Thank you. Thank you for teaching me how to be a better friend. Because of the way I have been put on the bottom of the list, and never reached, I know that is not how I would want to treat my friends when I have a partner (I'm not holding my breath for anytime soon). I know what it's like to be the last resort. I know what it's like to be lied to and hear that I'm missed but have no effort made to not miss me anymore and simply make room for me in your life.

There's this little saying that I found recently and it's really hit a soft spot. To summarize it, it basically says if you say you don't have time for something, you're saying it's not a priority. Now to cut you all some slack, I get it, college is busy and working while in college isn't easy. I do it, too, but I think that's what you sometimes forget. My life is just as busy and chaotic as yours, but I would still make you a priority a hundred times over. And that's the difference between you and I.

No, I don't have a boyfriend and no, I can't say how much time a person's daily activities should be dedicated to their significant other. But I do know that if someone is a "best friend" in your life, they should not feel like I feel. When I reach out to you, don't say you miss me. You don't miss me because you haven't made the effort, because you don't have "time". But that's ok, if that's how you choose to treat people, that is solely up to you. Just know that I thank you. For making me stronger and better. For showing me what it really means to be a true friend. For being there for those I do care about when times get rough and making an effort for the people I do care about.

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment